Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Tuesday "Try"... Non-Meat Product


     "Neat" is a product I've tried before and I wanted to share it with you. On the website there is a location page to find where it is sold in your area,  a story how this product came to be as well as recipes, and a contest http://eatneat.com/blog/the-neat-challenge-ii/ . They have an Original, Italian, Mexican, Breakfast mix and a neategg replacer. I am not a vegan or vegetarian, I only strive to eat healthier and love to explore options that are new and different. 
      We made a taco ring this past week, and this is the original recipe where the idea came from http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-ring-from-pampered-chef-81160, but I have altered it over the years and experimented with different crusts to make it dairy/gluten free. I have found a pie crust is the best alternative and it's still not the greatest but it works. So this time I altered it again and used the "Mexican Neat" mix and could not tell the difference. We enjoyed it and will definitely do that again. We have made meatballs with the "Italian Neat" and with the sauce and cheese it was yummy. The only thing I would do different having cooked with this before is add more water then they suggest. I find it drys out a little more when cooking with it.
      The general ingredients in all are, pecans, garbanzo beans, gluten free oats, organic gluten free grains, corn meal, garlic and onion and spices. Cornmeal is not in the Italian or the Breakfast mix ( there is maple syrup in this). I have not gotten a chance to try the breakfast mix but I'm hoping to be able to locate a place to purchase it. I hope if you're feel adventurous you might give this a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment