Saturday, January 31, 2015

Saturday "Supper"... Chicken Pot Pie

My dinner started with a plan. As you can see on my calendar the 25th says Chicken Pot Pie. I planned it on Sunday because that is the day I usually have the most time. But I still did it in steps...


Step one -Since I knew what I was going to make the day before, on Saturday I put together some homemade chicken broth in the crock pot to cook overnight, plus there will be extra to freeze or make something else with it the following week. ( This step can be skipped by purchasing a store brand broth.
Step Two - I put the raw chicken in a pot and while it cooked I peeled the potatoes. The potatoes are for making mashed potatoes that I put on top. A traditional Chicken Pot Pie usually has a crust on the top and bottom. But some years ago one of my children came up with the idea of the mash potatoes and all I can say is YUM! After the chicken was done,  it was time to cook the potatoes.
Step Three - The next step is making a crust. You can skip this step by purchasing a ready made one. But because we are gluten free, soy free and mostly dairy free in my household that is hard to come by. And I'm still trying to perfect my gluten/soy/dairy free pie crust skills. After the crust was made I put it in the baking dish and placed in the refrigerator until the filling was ready.
Step Four - I made a roux with earth balance ( can use butter), garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper, and some gluten free flour ( you could use all-purpose flour). Then I added my homemade chicken broth some coconut milk ( use whole milk if your not dairy free) and let it thicken up. Next I added the cooked chicken in with some frozen mixed vegetables. While the chicken mixture simmered, I mashed up the potatoes with a little earth balance and coconut milk. Now it was time to put it in the baking dish and bake!
It was as delicious as I remember...
I hope this helps you see how having a plan and break it down into steps can provide you with a pleasant cooking experience. The chicken stock cooked while I slept, and after each step I was busy doing other things I needed to do that day. When it was dinner time, everything was ready to be put it in the oven and then just wait with anticipation. 
Don't let cooking a delicious meal intimidate you. Make a plan, take it in steps and enjoy the process!

Chicken Pot Pie
1/4 cup Earth Balance
1 tsp onion and garlic powder ( adjust to your taste)
1/2 tsp. salt and pepper ( adjust to your taste)
4 Tb. flour ( gluten free or all purpose)
4-6 chicken thighs or 3 chicken breasts - cooked
10 oz bag frozen vegetables
 1 cup of chicken broth
1 cup coconut milk ( or whole milk)
Crust - homemade or from store
4-6 potatoes ( depending on size)- peel, cube, cook, mash
 
Make a roux with the first fourth ingredients. 
Slowly add the chicken broth and coconut milk. Let that cook until bubbly.
Add cooked chicken and frozen vegetables. Allow that to cook 5-10 min. then turn off the heat. 
Have your pie crust ready and put in the chicken pot pie filling. 
Next add the mash potatoes on top

Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-45 min depending how large of a baking pan you used.
 
NOTE - Here is a link that will walk you through making a roux


No comments:

Post a Comment