Thursday, January 29, 2015

Thursday "Tip"... Onions

 

    I remember growing up and my mother would make an onion sandwich with mayonnaise and sugar sprinkled on top! Onions is one of those stables to keep on hand in your kitchen, so today I thought I would offer some tips on onions.

~ Never wash them before you store them in a cool, dark, dry and ventilated place. I have mine in a bin in the bottom of my pantry.

~ You can freeze them by cutting them up in slices, diced in large or small pieces or even puree them. They are great this way for soups, gravy, chili etc.

~ To bring out the sweetness in a raw onion, put it in the refrigarator about an hour before you need it. If your in a hurry or forgot just drop in some ice water for 10-15 min, then dry off and use.

~ Love caramelized onions? You can freeze those too. Just make up a batch or make extra , let them cool, freeze in individual portions and when ready to use saute quickly while still frozen. If you let them thaw they will just be soggy.


No comments:

Post a Comment