Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tuesday "Try" Remake Baked Cinnamon Breakfast bites...

 Cinnamon Baked Breakfast Bites

Here is all the ingredients I used for my version of the Scrumptious Baked Cinnamon Breakfast Bites I posted on facebook for "Syrupy" Sunday. I wanted to try these but I needed them to be Gluten and Dairy Free.

I used:
potato starch
tapioca starch
 brown rice flour
 organic sugar
organic shortening
earth balance
almond milk
brown rice cakes


The recipe called for 1 1/3 cup of all purpose flour so I used a combination of potato, tapioca and brown rice flour to equal 1 1/3 flour. I added in the baking powder and some xanthan gum ( about 1/4 tsp) because when your baking with gluten free flour it helps hold it together. 


I used part shortening and part earth balance because I didn't have buttered flavored shortening as the recipe suggested. I worked it in until it resembled crumbs.


Then the recipe called for crisp rice cereal which I did not have on hand so I used some rice cakes, put them in the food processor and ground it up.



Here is what they looked like. Just like crispy rice cereal!



Next I put the flour mix, rice cakes ground up, 2 Tb. sugar and incorporated them all...


Added in 1/2 cup of almond milk, and stirred until a fairly stiff dough formed.



I took the dough and shaped them into about 1 inch balls. I melted 1/4 cup of earth balance instead of butter and mixed the 1/2 cup of sugar with cinnamon. I dipped each ball into the earth balance and then the cinnamon sugar mix. 



Put them into a glass pie pan and baked on 325 degrees for about 12-15 min.


The finally results - GOOD!

What I would do different next time would be use a little less cereal and use all earth balance instead of half shortening half earth balance. And probable no rice flour because the cereal is rice based. It's fun playing with recipes. 

......If you need help with your recipes

and visit http://wholefood-living.com/index.html to see how I can help you on your way to a healthier you!







No comments:

Post a Comment