Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tuesday "Try"... Pumpkin Bites

Pumpkin Bites


Yesterday I posted on my facebook page for Monday "Mention" 100 snack ideas. Today I decided to make the Pumpkin Bites which I picked from the many ideas. I changed it slightly for what worked for me. I used mostly no sugar almond butter and just a couple tablespoons of the natural peanut butter with added sugar.


Another trick I learned when I use to work in a bakery was to soak the raisins before you put them in with the ingredients ( you can drain them or if a recipe calls for liquid you can use the raisin water). It makes them soft and easier to eat, plus it adds moisture, because cooking will dry them out a little.


I then creamed the canned pumpkin, and the nut/ peanut butters together and added my nuts and seeds. I used walnuts, almonds, cashews and some pumpkin seeds.


Next I added all the remaining ingredients, and mixed together. Another alteration I made was adding half (2 Tb.) molasses and (2 Tb.) maple syrup instead of all maple syrup as the recipe suggested. 


I used mini muffin tins to bake the Pumpkin Bites. But before I put them in the oven I sprinkled a little coconut sugar on top.


This was my final product, a bit size treat. My daughter tried them and said they tasted healthy. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. Guess I'll find out if she ends up eating more. They can be made with banana instead of pumpkin, which I think I would try next time because I love the combination of banana and peanut butter.

Here is the original recipe:

Healthy Pumpkin Bites Recipe

http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/pumpkin-bar-recipe

(makes 14 or 28)
1/2 cup peanut butter (or any of your favorite nut butters)
1 15 ounce can pumpkin
1/2 cup whole nuts (choose your favorite)
1 ½ cup total of dried fruits (cherries, cranberries, apricots, raisins, coconut, etc.)
1 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (optional)
4 tablespoons maple syrup (or to taste)
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a food processor, coarsely chop nuts and dried fruits. Mix nut butter and pumpkin until a well blended. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Taste to ensure the right level of spice and sweetness. Spoon into lightly greased muffin cups and bake for 30-35 minutes. Can be stored in refrigerator for 5 days.
For one pumpkin bite (14 in recipe) = 168 calories, 6.9 g fat, 25.2 g carbohydrates, 4.6 g protein, 3.0 g fiber, 47 mg sodium, 5 Points+


and visit http://wholefood-living.com/index.html to see how I can help you on your way to a healthier you!







No comments:

Post a Comment