Friday, February 21, 2014

Friday "Fun"... Potato Skins

Potato Skin - Bacon Fat Chips


Yesterday when I was making garlic mash potatoes to have with our dinner, I decided to make these Potato Skin - bacon fat chips from the potato peels (which I scrubbed clean).  I found the recipe in a book ( I checked out of my local library) called Root To Stalk Cooking http://www.amazon.com/Root-Stalk-Cooking-Using-Vegetable/dp/1607744120. I love not wasting and it felt so good to have used every part of the potato. I could see the potential in a lot of different spice combos. Defiantly making these again, they tasted like potato chips!



First I soaked the peels in cold water while I continued with dinner. Then when I was ready I drained and dried them off on a towel.


Next I melted two tablespoons of bacon fat ( you could use olive oil, coconut oil, butter etc. ) put the potato peels in with the fat and blended to coat throughly.


I sprinkled half of the spice mix, gave it a toss, put all the potato skins on a baking sheet, added the other half of the spice mix and baked them in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 min. Then flipped them over and baked another 3-4 min. Watch those last few minutes, they will cook fast. I had a few a bit darker then others.


Original Recipe
1 tsp dark brown sugar 
( I used regular brown sugar)
1/2 tsp kosher salt 
( I used table salt)
1/4 tsp sweet paprika 
( I used whatever kind of paprika I had on hand)
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp dried
( I used dried, because that's what I had)
skin peelings from 4 russet potatoes
2 Tb bacon fat warmed until liquid or olive oil


and visit http://wholefood-living.com/index.html to see how I can help you on your way to a healthier you!



No comments:

Post a Comment