Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tuesday "Try"... Mochi


Mochi is a traditional Japanese food made from a special short-grain sweet rice. It's steamed then the rice is pounded to accentuate its chewy texture and nutty flavor.

I found a cinnamon raisin Mochi the other day marked down, so I thought why not give it a try ( there is a plain flavor available too). The recipe on the back of the package was, Raisin Cinnamon Mochi Danish that I decided to follow and see what happened, but Pinterest is full of ideas for what to do with Mochi. I even saw one idea to make waffles.

This is what it looks like when you take it out of the package.


The recipe said to cut 2 inch squares and follow baking instructions


Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Place pieces at least 1 inch apart on a baking sheet
Bake 8-10 minutes, until Mochi pieces puff up and brown.

Here is what they look like after they come out of the oven.


The recipe said to remove them from oven, let cool and take a sharp knife, cut a slit in one side of each Mochi pocket and stuff with cream cheese, nuts and honey.


I didn't have cheese or non-dairy cheese on hand, so I used peanut butter, honey and chopped up some walnuts. I'd like to try the cream cheese ( non - dairy for me) next time. It would add a very nice contrast that the peanut butter didn't. But it was still really good, easy and fun to play around with. 


and visit http://wholefood-living.com/index.html to see how I can help you on your way to a healthier you!









No comments:

Post a Comment