Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tuesday "Try"... Skinny dipping

Homemade Hummus

Looking for something to dip your naked vegetables or chips in? 

Try homemade hummus! 
     I have to admit, I've never made it before, but it was SO easy and really good!! And like a lot of my cooking, I didn't make it all in one day. When I made dinner (and with planning to make hummus on my mind) I decided to cook the chickpea's ( you can use canned, but I like to use fresh when possible) and then put them in the refrigerator until the next day when I had more time. I also made a double batch so the next time I want hummus that part is already done. 

      Hummus is one of those foods that you can do so much with. You can taylor it to your liking, with extra garlic, hot chili peppers etc. You don't even have to use chickpea's (garbanzo beans) - try making a bean free hummus with, spinach, beets, cauliflower or carrots. Even the traditional recipe you can played with like, extra tahini, lemon juice etc. just taste and adjust.

       Try making hummus to take to a party, spread it on your sandwich or hamburger bun instead of mayo, turn it into a salad dressing with vinegar, salt and pepper, or just have something yummy and healthy to use as a dip. The idea's are endless... google it!

       A few health benefits are: there high in fiber, minerals and vitamins (manganese, zinc, magnesium, copper and iron) and lots of protein. And it only takes a few ingredients, a blender or food processor and a desire. 


2 cups of cooked chickpea's (garbanzo beans)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
4 Tb. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8- 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup tahini
1/8-1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

(This is my adjusted recipe from the original link posted above)



and visit http://wholefood-living.com/index.html to see how I can help you on your way to a healthier you!

No comments:

Post a Comment