Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tuesday's "TRY"


Welcome to Tuesday's Try, where I'll be experimenting with food I've never eaten or trying something with a food that's familiar and trying it in a different way. Today I'm using Fennel. I had never eaten this vegetable before and had always been a bit intimidated by the way it looks and just unsure what to do with it. But after doing a search for ideas, I'm excited to use fennel again in my recipes. Plus fennel is good for you. It contains Vitamins A and C as well as potassium and calcium and has a slightly sweet anise flavor and can be used to help with stomach distress.

Fennel Apple Salad

First I cut a very thin sliver off the bottom (discard) then cut off the fronds (feathery top - saved for another use).

As you can see in the above picture the outside can sometimes be bruised or discolored so I took off the top layer of the fennel bulb. But you can just as easily use a vegetable peeler and remove some of the discoloring. I cut the bulb in half and cut out small triangles of the core to discard.

Then with each half you can slice them really thin with a knife or use a mandolin. I also cut up one Granny Smith apple into thin slices.

I mixed the fennel with the apple, toasted pecans and made a simple dressing of orange juice, honey, olive oil and apple cider vinegar, mixed it all together then put in the refrigerator to chill. There are many ways to use the fronds but I just steeped them to make fennel tea, which I enjoy.

Recipe

1 fennel
1 apple
1/4-1/2 cup pecans - toasted
1/4 cup orange juice 
1 Tb. olive oil
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tb. honey
(adjust to your taste - play with the ingredients)

Only thing left is to ENJOY!

and visit http://wholefood-living.com/index.html to see how I can help you on your way to a healthier you!


1 comment: