Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday "Try"... Parsnips

File-PastinakePflanzegeerntet.jpg

"Parsnip"
The parsnip (Pastinaca sativa) is a root vegetable closely related to the carrot. It is a biennial plant usually grown as an annual. Its long tuberous root has cream-colored skin and flesh and can be left in the ground when mature as it becomes sweeter in flavor after winter frosts. In its first growing season, the plant has a rosette of pinnate, mid-green leaves. If unharvested, it produces its flowering stem, topped by an umbel of small yellow flowers, in its second growing season. By this time the stem is woody and the tuber inedible. The seeds are pale brown, flat and winged.
On this Tuesday "Try" I decided on another in season vegetable that I'd never eaten before. It was easy to find in my local grocery store, and it was available in big and smaller sizes. I had one of each and I found the smaller one softer to work with then the larger one. The description said it was closely related to a carrot and I thought it looked and did taste similar to a carrot. The taste was not over powering and it complimented the sweet potato. I found a recipe that mixed parsnips and sweet potatoes http://glutenfreegirl.com/2011/01/sweet-potato-latkes-gluten-free/.

First I peeled the parsnips and sweet potatoes.

Then I grated them and soaked them for 10 minutes in water to release the starch.

After I drained all the water out, I put the shredded parsnips and sweet potatoes in a towel to get out as much of the excess water as I could. Then I added, thyme, plain coconut yogurt, salt and pepper, shallot, and potato starch. Then I mixed a little earth balance and olive oil in the pan and made small patties.


Now that I've tried parsnips I certainly will be using them again in my recipes. I've even found my next idea ~ baked parsnip fries http://www.delightedmomma.com/2012/01/baked-parsnip-fries.html


No comments:

Post a Comment