Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tuesday "Try"... Gluten/Dairy Free Cornbreads


A few years ago I found (on Google) a really good homemade gluten/dairy free cornbread recipe. It has become a family and friends favorite. I have altered the recipe as I often do to accommodate my families dietary restrictions and/or to make it healthier. I made a big batch to bring to my sisters house for Thanksgiving last year for the many family members that had not tried it yet and "again" - it was a big hit!!! I wasn't able to leave until I handed over the recipe.
One day while at the grocery store, I came across this gluten/dairy free box mix of cornbread and wanted to see how it compared to mine and the kids wanted to give it a try. It was delicious and would probable use it again if I wanted the convenience, but for me personally it still had too much sugar. (The very first ingredient is sugar). But when something is homemade I have control over how much of an ingredient is used or not.

My Homemade Gluten/Dairy Free Cornbread Recipe

1/2 cup (non-GMO- if possible) cornmeal
1/4 cup ( or slightly less) sugar
6 TB rice flour
1 1/2 TB Tapioca flour
1TB cornstarch
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup dairy free milk
4 TB Earth Balance - natural buttery spread - softened
1/2 tsp vanilla (generous tsp full)
1 egg ( warmed)

Add dry ingredients ( first 7) in a medium size bowl
Add all wet ingredients ( last 4 ) to dry ingredients
Mix until all combined
Pour in 8x8 pan or make muffins

Bake 350 degrees for about 20 - 30 min.
( time will vary depending on what you cook it in and your oven)
* The recipe is easily doubled and can be frozen.
* I once made corn bread croutons with the leftovers
( This recipe used gluten free bread I just substituted corn bread cut in cubes )

ENJOY

You won't be disappointed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment